1. Register and regulate higher education institutions according to the provisions of the Higher Education Promulgation.
2. Foster and safeguard the national interest, the interests of students and parents, and also of local higher education providers.
3. Establish national standards for different qualifications.
4. Oversee the review process of higher education institutions.
5. Provide assurances that the programmes developed by the institutions meet national standards.
6. Promote the development of Fiji as a knowledge society.
7. Allocate government funds marked for higher education annually to higher education institutions according to a transparent and well-publicised criteria for allocation.
8. Foster co-operation among higher education institutions and linkages between higher education institutions and industry.
9. Maintain a database of higher education information.
10. Develop or cause to be developed an academic broadband facility for use by higher education institutions.
11. Make recommendations to the Minister with respect to issues consistent with its functions including special projects.